Refresher Workshop on Children´s Rights with Emphasis on Participation
On October 19 -21 the Refresher Workshop on Children´s Rights with Emphasis on Participation was carried out in Guatemala City, with the participation of 18 staff members of the Social Welfare Secretariat (SBS). This activity was included within the framework of the Project on “Protection and Promotion of Children’s Rights in the Inter-American System”, financed by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).
The workshop was held at the request of the SBS after attendance to a semi-distance course held last May as part of the IIN’s commitments with CIDA. Its main objective was to provide information and technical tools related to the promotion and safeguard of children´s right to participate in the matters that concern them, from an updated perspective which contemplates the realities of the Americas. The main subjects addressed were:
- Basic concepts in children´s rights.
- New paradigms for children and adults after the CRC. Individual and group exercises. The doctrine of the irregular situation and the paradigm of comprehensive protection.
- Overview and discussion of the national and regional situation with regard to promotion of the right to participate.
- Dimensions and settings of child participation.
- Challenges posed by child and adolescent participation in this decade.
At the end of the workshop, the participants undertook to disseminate the information to their colleagues in order to raise awareness on the subject.